WURL, And I think to myself...

            9 years ago I moved to Alta.  Ever since, Ive stared up at these ridgelines in awe of mother earth.  Isnt she lovely?  I tried to run and scramble on as much of these rocks as I could.  By the end of the summer 2012, I realized I had done much of the route I had just recently heard of (The WURL).  In 2013, it was my goal to do the route in its entirety.  One weekend, I set off from Fergy and crested over sugarloaf and descended home.   Next morning, hiked up Baldy and finished the route.  Total time something like 36 hours with sleeping 8 hours in the middle.  I repeated a similar outing in 2015, “getting more comfortable with the route” I told myself.  But all out efforts on the AT, PCT, and a big ole bike tour, hindered feeling 100% in other years.  So last summer 2018, with no hinderances, I tried.
Lots of ridges, Lots of Lonely time
            First time.  Moving well, but fading a bit over baldy/hidden.  I got up Red Stack to see a big ol nasty dark cloud over Utah lake bearing down on me. I paused.  Threw up my hands in disbelief.  How am I suppose to go up Red to White Baldy, exhausted, into a potential Tstorm, with not great bail options?  So the saddle before Red, I turned right, into safety, and down to white pine trailhead.  Halfway down all I could see was bright blue skies, ugh.  But in hindsight, might have been the right call, as I drove back up the canyon nasty dark clouds lurked over American Fork.
So beautiful So smokey 2nd attempt 2018
             I had to wait for some fatigue from a Uinta Highline yo-yo to subside.  But I gave it another go in mid August.  This time I felt like I was going easier but the same times.  Again, past Hidden I began to fade.  Though this time I felt like I was getting fried by the sun. The smoke from the Nebo fire seemed to intensify the suns rays and I began wheezing a bit after Airplane peak.  By the time I was death marching up the last bit of South Thunder, the wheezing was full on and troublesome.  Realizing I was already falling behind pace and the wheezing, I decided the smart thing to do was get down ASAP.  Over the top of South Thunder bailing down into Bells, I was beating myself up.  Maybe 16:44 (Jareds current record time) was just really that fast.  But I knew I could go faster.  Just needed to dial it in, smooth it out, and set myself up with better weather.  Then Adam Loomis went 15:59.  My original reaction was, “DAAMMN.  Thats fast. I aint ever beating that”.  But in time, and over a winters hiatus, I started to think, “enh, with a good day, you could beat that”.
Smokey White Baldy 2nd Attempt 2018
        After a little bike tour this summer, I started working on the WURL again.  I seemed to be moving fast but always fading after a few hours.  I eventually conceded that I was struggling with some OTS from the bike tour and probably a long ski season.  But I was still optimistic that I could indeed recover, scout, and get in shape all at the same time. Then Luke Nelson went 15:44, on a day I was planning on going. But I just did the first third.  My reaction this time was inline with the ultra endurance philosophy of eternal optimism; thats fast, but I just need to go faster. How much faster is faster? Don’t think too much, it makes perfect sense!  So I knew my mind was in the correct frame (crazy, for the lay).  But now I need to get my body there.  How? I kept trying and just spinning.  Then my girlfriend showed up. The comfort, companionship, cooking meals together, going for walks, and watching sunsets; was exactly the water I need to douse my flaming endocrine system.  Suddenly, my body seemed in rhythm.
        Now I need to do my part. First fixing my achy stiff back.  Stretching helped.  But I realized I couldnt get my hammys fully relaxed and functional.  I knew I had to strengthen and stretch em to get em functioning proper and eliminate the patellar-femoral/tibial pain I was feeling(essentially pain beneath the knee cap).  So I walked uphill(21%**) on the treadmill, emphasizing the hamstrings/glutes, and stretching the hams/glutes as much as possible.  Also, I did no quad/rectus femorus stretching, but some psoas.  It was a night and day difference after one time. So I mixed that in with running outside.  But I realized I need a lot more.  The week leading up, I spent everyday hammering this protocol.  It was restful but also invigorating for my body. Maybe I can do this?  Ive been thinking that sentiment that last four weeks.  This time though.  This time had heart. Soul.  I believed.  So on Friday, I said,  “I was going to give it a go” ...still with some reservations.   I would do it on Sunday.  To give myself extra rest (although not to hard, construction/renovation is not exactly easy on the body) and to put out my one cache up on Toledo.  Saturday was easy and restful.  Quick hike up Toledo and stretch the rest of the day.  I was ready.
Sunrise 2019
       Morning of. All set. Walk out into garage ...might need my headlamp. Back to grab it.  Get a mile down the road, lets turn on my watch.  My watch!  Probably want it, so back I go to get it.  Realizing I wasn’t starting at my planned 4am, I chuckled.  Its going to be a good day if things all already going wrong before I start.  Ended up starting at 4:22am.  It felt easy, but I could tell I was moving fast. During some of the bushwhacking, a branch dragged across my face.  My vision blurry in one eye.  I thought I had lost my contact. I just kept going.  It was too early in the day to quit.  After a few seconds, I blinked and my contact came back into my vision. Whew.  Getting on to the Robinson, I was lowering myself down using a branch.  It snapped. I whacked my head with the piece of branch I held in my hand and landed on some pointy rocks.  Left glute and head stung. But I got up as quick as possible and kept moving. Ive learned that the sooner you get moving, the less any pain/stiffness sets in.  So a little glute massaging, head rubbing, and 15 minutes later I had forgotten all about it.  I reached the summit if the East Twin.  Looked at my watch 2:18.  Damn. Thats fast. Too fast?  But it felt easy enough.  I moved swiftly along the ridge.  Somewhere along Sunrise, while grabbing a sip of Monster (I brought only half a liter for Fergy to Toledo, and opted for Monster instead of salty gatorade).  Whilst distracted, I stepped on, then rolled a “basketball” sized rock. I reeled. Avoided my feet being underneath. But hands occupied, I had to roll with the fall. Bam. Right on my left IT band/vastus lateralus 2/3s distal.  Owie. It kinked up into a nice bump.  Got up quick. Kept moving. But owe.  I massaged and walked, but this needed attention.  I took a quick minute and both hands to it.  Better. Not great. Ten minutes later.  Another quickie. Tolerable.  Lets do this!  I got angry. Moved quickly. But calm down Joey, its a long day.  Well not that long. Lil over 3 hours.  I was near Dromedary, looking over at Lone and the finish. Over 20% done. That was fast.  Yeehaw!
            I was in the zone.  Honestly, didnt step wrong or make any route finding errors until White Baldy.  I called Kym and Grant and told them we were on.  Doing it last minute, I didnt set up any caches other than the Toledo one I just grabbed.  Ive been reluctant to have people support me, because the temptation to slow down, chat, hang out, etc.  But they both were amazing!  Hanging out on standby, because I told them, “Im not sure how my body will do”.  They both having gatorade ready to pour in my camelback, a monster, and some ginger chews.  That was pretty much my diet all day. 7 Liters of salty, watered down gatorade powder, 4 monsters, 2 Nature Valley PB bars, some homemade “energy bars” ...mushy gueyness. (Brown rice, oats, coconut milk, some whey protein. Cooked into ...well ...something resembling a bar).  I could not have done this attempt without Grant and Kym.  A huge thanks to those two!
       HEY. Focus. Youre zone’ing out.  We’ve got the Castle coming up.  In my previous two attempts, I kinda got fried/zoned out/slowed down around the castle.  This wasn’t going to happen again. I drank my remaining drank.  The sun was lower in the sky than previous attempts. But also I wore my long sleeve to block the sun and protect my arms.  Compression socks to protect the lower leg.  And SPF 100 on any exposed skin.  The temps were cooler and there was a stout breeze all day.  All in all, perfect weather.  I got over the Castle briskly.  I was going to see my girl soon.  Over the loaf, up Baldy.  There is my girl😁.  Everything splayed out on the ground like a feast.  But gatorade in the camelback, monster in the squeeze up front, some Alleve (my left leg was starting to really hurt) and ginger chews was all I needed.  Kisses.  And off.  Kym understood.  I was on a mission.  Glad to be able to skip going into the Tram plaza. But I still had to do the 20’ out n back to get the summit.  I think a tram car had just emptied as there was a hoard of people in my way.  Don’t they know Im in the middle of a race here. No. No one really knows.  Except perhaps five friends.  ...I didnt tell Luke. Whoops. I felt kinda bad about it. (Its courtesy/protocol to tell the record holder). But, I decided last minute.  I didn’t think I was going to make it.  Its so short?  Excuses.  Sorry Luke, I should gave given you a heads up.  
          Dodging kids running every which way, I got off and away from hidden.  Whew. I probably wouldn’t see many more people all day.  True, but I actually saw a lot more than I thought.  Maybe 15, until near the Bells TH.  I was moving well.  I couldn’t believe it.  This will end some time.  ...it didn’t really. Going up White Baldy, going around some crux’s, I had to go North onto some fresh snow. There was a solid amount and if made things a bit precarious.  But I made it. Probably wasted 5-7minutes though Id guess. Over and down, I was heading towards Grant.  Then I heard some yelling. It was the G man. My boy!  He is a kid, I love it.  All enthusiasm.  A pep man.  The best pep man.  Telling everyone he seed to cheer me on.  Haha it cracked me up.  Gatorade. Monster. And I was off.  He said, “what about food?”.   “Food is for sissy’s!” I yelled back.  Gotta keep up the illusion.  Seriously though, I couldn’t stomach anything and was moawing down ginger chews just to keep my stomach together.  
          Going up the top of the Pfieff was the first time I felt my legs heavy and breathing a bit labored. But at the top I looked over at the remaining course, “im like done with most of the climbing” ...except the 2-2.5k left.  Shut up left brain.  Onwards, I felt good but that last bit of South Thunder is a brute.  But heading down.  I realized I was the “snowflake” that people who use the term thinks anyone with empathy or emotion is.  I smiled.   My emotion was, “fuck yeah!” And I was going to pack it up into a snowball and roll it downhill.  Getting bigger. Going faster. Gaining momentum.  Up Bighorn, snow became a slight issue.  So on the descent, I tried to stay a bit south where the rock was dry instead of the treacherous icy north.  But then I found myself in that chute. The chute that I know, you know ...you can’t navigate.  So without a pout, I climbed the 30 feet back up to the ridge.  Just suck it up. Down the ridge.  I had my moments.  But I made unscathed. Just a walk up South Lone across and down.  This was the first time I really thought, “Imma do this”.  Instead of relaxing, I turnt it up!  Jogging up to South Lone.  My stomach felt like it was going to explode. I eased off slightly, but not too much.  I knew as I started descending, I would feel better because I could breath easier.  I took a moment at the summit of Lone.  But a brief one.  I know the descent down Bells. I knew the work ahead of me.  Bombing like my legs were new.  Near where it becomes grassy and flat on the ridge, I saw a patch of snow. ...I did it, I jumped and slid. Elated!  Ok calm down Joe.  Fun is good.  But don’t go bustin an ankle.  Serious again, down the Notch.  It was easier than I had ever had before. Fear in the back, party up front.  Well there was some fear, but it wasn’t in the way in the front of mind(an important lesson).  As I cleared the chute and just the apron fell before me; my legs felt good, I knew the bush to the trail, and I could run. Lets savor this here momen..!.!.!.? Rolled some loose rock, reeled, reach, cut up my hand, but stayed up right. Okay no savor.  Business.  Blood was dripping down but aint no body got time for that.  I was flying. Bee lined to trail.  I think that was my most direct easy time. Now on the rough trail I was flying. Or at least I felt like it. I started day dreaming.  Maybe I can crank a 8-7minute last two miles like Loomis. That would put me at 15:20ish.  Hell yeah. More gas. But that descent goes on forever. I faded a bit. My buddy Muse! “hey Muse”.  “Yo Joey, whats going on?” “Ah bjgv jhafy” I sprint off.  I couldn’t explain. I figured the yelling rambles would suffice as an explanation.
         Run run run run run Run run run run run Run run run run run Run run run run run like an antelope.  Outta control.  This descent goes on forever. But I made the turn. I knew it was less than a half of mile. Now I could see down to the parking lot. Would Kym be down there waiting? I hoped. But I knew.  I stayed steady, but really unable to sprint. I was dead. But here we are.  I looked down to stop the watch, nearly missing the water fountain.  I did it. Circled around. Hunched over. Looked up. Kym threw her arms around, “dont Im gross bloody”. “I don’t care”  We kissed.  (“God I love this girl.  I couldn’t have done it without her.  And its not the taking of air out of my bladder after filling it, as she jokes. Its the strength and steadiness she gives to my heart and soul.  God I love this girl.  Couldn’t have done it without her!”  
         You want a seat? Water? Fruit smoothy?  Haha. She is awesome!   No.  I want to go home.  I sit down, un tie my shoes.  Go to stand up. Shit.  Im tired.  Kym helps me up. We drive over and then up the canyon.  Besides a few trips to the bathroom and a very painful shower(cuts). I laid on the floor all night.  Very nauseous, very tired, but wired. I managed a little drink and nibbled some energy bar.  Kym laid on the floor next to me. I did it. That was awesome. This is awesome. Owe.   
             Eventually, I told her to go to bed.  And eventually I fell asleep on the floor.  I woke up at four and wanted eggs.  My stomach was okay!  I always want eggs after a big one...


All Alone on Lone    2019


Smiling...because done!     2019


How I really felt       2019


My girl       Always

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nolans 41

Utah Thirteeners