PCT Day 31: Oh Deer

Day 31 6-18-2015     Sleep 100 – 400
Miles 1401 – 1429

            Last night when I dropped off the bluff, the trail turned to Basalt with some sand mixed in.  Basalt tends to be pretty sharp and very grabby.  I was struggling along the trail, the sun was just coming up and it was already hot.  I knew this would be rough on my feet, but the entire time my feet felt pretty good.  All of a sudden, there was an intense pain coming from the bottom of my left foot.  I figured I had got something in my shoe and was now steeping on it.  Upon taking the shoe off, I could not find the source.  Next I took off the sock and realized the problem.  Just a nickel size blister in the middle of my fore foot.  No biggie, I will just drain it and be on my way. 
So I got my Neosporin out and jammed my toe nail clippers in (I had lost my knife some time in the last day).  I couldn’t get to it.  It was hot and the feeble attempts at draining the blister were making me some what nauseous.  I decided that I couldn’t reach the blister through the callous on my foot.  I would have to sit here with the toe clippers and dig through the callous to get to the blister.  I decided I would eat a little snack to settle my stomach.  I got to work and slowly got to the blister.  Well, one of the blisters.  What I didn’t realize was it was actually a few blisters on top of each other and around each other.  So I kept digging until I drained the last one.  I thought I was going to throw up the entire time.  Now I have a nickel size hole in my left foot.  No big deal, I will just let it dry and harden then be on my way.  I had cell service so I figured I would call my brother while my foot dried and that he would calm me down.  He didn’t answer.  So I called my friend Laura.  I figured she would have some great advice being an ultra runner and trainer.  Also, seeing how I hadn’t talked to her in a long time, we would have a lot to catch up on.  Laura was the person who got me into ultra running seven years ago and so I think I should blame her entirely for my current predicament.  Kidding.  We had a nice conversation and it helped me forget about my troubles for the moment.  After hanging up, I figured I would check my foot to see if it was dry and hardened up.  It wasn’t even close.  Pissed, I decided I would take a nap and let it sit out in the sun to dry.  After the first 90 minutes it was pretty dry, but I realized how tired I really was.  So I decided to give it another 90 minutes, harden really well and I can hike later into the night.
So I woke up from my nap.  Put an extra sock on tripled over the front of my foot where the blister was and I was on my way.  I was limping at first, but then I realized the foot didn’t really hurt, so I stopped.  I was motivated and moving well, as I had ground to make up.  I hit the Wild Bird Spring trail magic. Which was an entire camp set up for hikers to stay, shower, eat up and heal in any way possible.  If only I had made it here before dissecting my foot I thought.  I would have loved to take advantage of the hospitality but now I was in a hurry.  I had a can of beans and some soda.  Grabbed some more soda and candy bars for the road and kept moving.  As I hiked away I couldn’t help but laugh about my day.  If only I had been a little further, it would have been a perfectly timed break.

I made good pace for the rest of the evening, but once again was head bobbing.  I guess it is time for me to sleep.  I only made it 28 miles today, but I think I avoided a disaster and being off the trail all together.  I wasn’t too upset and was satisfied with how I handled the situation.  As I went to make my bed for the night, I had the sense that there was an animal close by.  As I scanned around, I saw it.  A little ball of fur laying only ten feet away.  A baby deer?  There was no momma deer around, so I moved in for a closer look.  Oh crap, it is a baby deer.  It was breathing hard and it seemed to me that it was only born not too long ago.  I thought it might get up and try to run away.  But as I got closer and closer, it just laid there totally still, breathing hard.  I took a few pictures and pet it real quick.  Wow, this is amazing I thought.  I figured either mom would come back soon or a mountain lion might smell a snack, so I walked a bit further and set up camp.  What a day.  I got to pet a baby deer in the wild, how many people can say that? Alright! And I went to bed almost entirely forgetting about cutting my foot open earlier.
Really wish I didn't have to kill this baby deer
I am not kidding!  Killed it with my bare hand

*Note: No baby deer's were murdered in the making of this story. I had a few comments about how because I touched the baby deer it lead to it being abandoned or eaten by a mountain lion.  You're welcome family I saved from hitting this deer with your car in a year or so...if we are predicting the future.  

Comments

  1. Joey, you are the MAN! Love the story so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. followed your AT trip and just now got the opportunity to read up on your PCT attempt and I just read straight through and now I clicked where 'newer post' should be, and nothing! please finish this is such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I am working on it again. Hopefully sooner than later.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nolans 41

WURL, And I think to myself...

Utah Thirteeners