PCT Day 24: Real Shorts

Day 24 6-11-2015  Sleep 2300-330
Miles 1065 – 1106

            Deep sleep, wide awake.  30 miles to my resupply.  Have to get there before 1400.  I have a goal, I have broken it down; 400 to 1400 is ten hours, 30 miles; is three miles an hour.  All I got to do is beat 3mph.  Easy enough.  I was moving well and with the sun in the sky, I couldn’t help but have a feeling of surviving.  The sierras behind me, the storms behind me, the tough stuff tackled.  A little phlegm in the back of my throat, but no worse for wear.  I would get to Echo Lakes, shed some weight, get some new gear, feel refreshed and be flying.  I reached a parking lot with tons of tourists; get me out of here!  It was highway 50 Carson pass.  Suddenly, I knew where I was.  I remember only a few years ago skiing at Kirkwood.  It was actually one of my favorite places to ski.  Wow, how skiing has changed for me.  The “Wall” my favorite spot.  Where I tore my meniscus one superbowl Sunday.  When everyone else at the cabin was hung over and didn’t make the trek; it was my brother who trucked on out there.  God, I miss my brother, I love my brother.  I wanted to call him right then.  But my phone has been less than 20% for days and I refuse to turn it on unless it is an emergency.  It hadn’t mattered as it had been raining and I wouldn’t have been able to use it anyway.  But now it was nice and sunny and I wanted to hear my brothers voice.  I decided I just needed to be patient and/or run faster to Echo Lakes.  I was tired though and feeling a bit sick, so I just made pace and thought about how awesome my brother is.  
Morning Tahoe

            I rolled into Echo Lakes about 1330 and realize that it was a store tailored for PCT hikers and they would have grabbed my package at any time.  Well, you live and learn.  But it really didn’t make much difference, I didn’t stress about getting there.  I got my package, some snacks and sprawled out on the lawn.  I soaked up the sun and repacked.  I called my brother of course and we talked for a good 10-15 minutes.  I wanted to talk all day, but I knew I had to be on my way.  Geez, this never ends? Belly stuffed, I headed back onto the trail feeling a bit light headed, weak and not motivated; I just walked slowly uphill reminiscing about past lives.  I was thinking about how much my life had changed from high school to college to a career to a ski bum.  Haha, it was kind of like my day yesterday.  I smiled; life lessons.  It was beautiful around all these lakes, I wanted to keep hiking, but I was exhausted and thought if I was sick, a little extra rest would help.  I ate dinner early and once more watched the sunset from bed.  
Ahh sunshine, much better!
Tired, but not tired of the views

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nolans 41

WURL, And I think to myself...

Utah Thirteeners