AT Day 7: High Point

5/20 Tues
Spence Field->Pecks Corner
182.5->217.4

When I woke up and looked out the bear was standing in the middle of our camp.  I said good morning bear and banged a stick on the wood floor.  He took off. I got ready as quickly as possible and got out of there.  The trail ran along the ridge and provide some nice views. The trail hit Clingmans Dome(the highest point on the AT. It was an interesting top, with a spiral ramp to a look out tower. It was a tourist scene and I was freaking out. I took some pictures quick and then vanished into the woods.  It was nice and peaceful on the trail for quite a ways. But then I hit Newfound Gap. Again it was a tourist trap. There was also no water.  I took off a quick as possible to get away from people and towards water. I put on my head phones for the first time in a week.  The music sounded different to me and was very harsh on the ears. I didnt listen long and it was back to my thoughts. It was the first truely sunny day for me and I was getting hot fast. As I climbed up and finally got water, I found myself on a knife edge ride. It was plenty breezy and refreshing.  Realizing I wasn't going to push on the extra 5 miles, I suddenly had some time on my hands. I stopped right there in the ridge and layed all my stuff out to dry. I soaked up some rays for 30 minutes then head to camp. I ate while walking the last half mile. I got to camp, setup, quick massage and passed out. 37 miles run for the day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nolans 41

WURL, And I think to myself...

Utah Thirteeners